Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC

My cat has had chronic diarrhea than a month but he looks

Customer Question

Hi, my cat has had chronic diarrhea for more than a month but he looks very healthy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Loui and he is 1 year old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Loui?
Customer: He never vomited any hairballs so far, so I fed him some hairball removal medicine for 3 days but he doesn't stop having diarrhea.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I believe one of the reasons behind this diarrhea could be parasites. I have another cat at home and he currently has tapeworms. I am taking this cat to the vet tomorrow and I suspect it could have been transmitted to Loui. Unfortunately, I can't afford veterinary visits for both of the cats so I chose using this website. Rather than a visit, if there is anything I can try at home, please recommend it for my cat.
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years. I am sorry to hear that Loui has chronic diarrhea.

I understand the financial concerns of a veterinary visit. Please understand that the information provided on this site is just general information. We legally cannot diagnose or prescribe medications. I recommend saving money as quickly as possible to have your cat seen. In the mean time, I will give you some basic information on diarrhea and ways to attempt to decrease it.

Diarrhea for a month is a significant medical condition. If it is parasites, then Loui will need medication to get rid of the them, but a fecal sample should be checked to make sure that you are treating for the right parasite.

Some things that can be done is feeding a bland diet for a few days and increasing fiber in the diet. A bland diet usually is composed of 2-3 parts cooked rice and 1 part boiled hamburger or chicken. For example if you feed 1 cup of the mixture, you would feed 3/4 cup cooked rice and 1/4 cup boiled meat. Increasing fiber can be done with either canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) or Metamucil or Benefiber supplements.

Your veterinarian may be willing to send home medication for Loui and any other animals in the house for treatment, but they would have had to have been seen relatively recently or at least within the last year in most cases. Asking is never a problem, but if they say no, it is likely because Loui needs an exam in order to have a prescription given.

If tapeworms is the problem (although usually that is not the cause of chronic diarrhea), then you will likely need to treat for fleas as well. Cats get tapeworms from ingesting fleas when they groom and from eating things such as rabbits, mice, or other rodents.

If this has not answered your question, please let me know so that I can be more specific to your question.

If this has answered your question to your satisfaction, please take a moment to rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services.

I hope Loui feels better soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Melanie Goble