Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC
94403761

My cat is having an allergic reaction, possibly to food. She

Customer Question

My cat is having an allergic reaction, possibly to food. She has food allergies but isn't willing to eat her hydrolized protein food anymore as she has stage 3 kidney disease. She's been eating 'other' canned foods for the last 3 years, with some digestive issues, mostly gas, but no skin problems. Over the last couple of weeks she's been acting itchier and itchier and today has started pulling out large chunks of fur and skin. I want to know what sort of antihistamine I can safely give her. She's had 'people' antihistamines, but that was years ago, and I don't know what dosage to give her? She's approximately 6 pounds, no health issues other than the kidney and food allergies. I have chlorpheniramine maleate, 4 mg tablet, can I give her 1/4 table, and how often? Once a day until I can make an app't with my vet? and is it safe to give it to her if she's had a 1/4 cyproheptadine tablet already today or do I need to wait until tomorrow?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 5 months ago.

Hello

My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years. I am sorry to hear that Lola is having issues.

For over the counter antihistamines, as long as she has not has issues with them in the past, she can have a 1/2 tablet of chlorpheniramine (2 mg) by mouth every 12-24 hours. This will cause many cats to drool excessively, but it is safer than the other human anithistamines. It does not need to be separated from the cyproheptadine specifically, but due to the drooling, I normally recommend giving them a couple hours apart.

The chlorpheniramine may help a little with itchiness, but will not prevent the allergic reactions from happening. You may want to look at the types of "other" foods she has been eating recently to see if there is a common ingredient, such as chicken, fish, or beef, that could be causing her problems.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please take a moment to rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?

Melanie Goble