Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

She licked just a little bit of her flea medication and has

Customer Question

She licked just a little bit of her flea medication and has slight tremors and doesn't want food or water
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Pearl and three months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pearl?
Customer: I don't think so I forced her to drink some water and she seems fine otherwise
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. Pearl's symptoms are definitely concerning as certain flea products can cause spasms and muscle contractions if ingested. Given Pearl is so young (and hence so small) that is likely what has happened here. If she is off food and water altogether this evening, then I would encourage you to visit with your local ER vet to ensure all is ok. This will involve a full physical exam and neurological assessment, along with potentially some subcutaneous or intravenous fluids to keep her well hydrated.

If she seems to be improving in the last hour or so, then you can continue to keep an eye on her for now. If there is more flea treatment on her coat she could potentially lick off, then be sure to wipe her down with a wet, soft cloth to remove as much of this as possible. In the meantime, please keep an eye on your girl's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Definitely get her along to your local ER vet now if the tremors seem to be worsening, or if she continues to refuse water - as otherwise she will very quickly become dehydrated. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.