Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My kitty has been especially sleepy today and warm paws not

Customer Question

My kitty has been especially sleepy today and warm paws not much appetite
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Simba
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Simba?
Customer: He is 12 weeks old , so I just didn't know if I was overly worried
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Simba that has just been sent through to me. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Simba's symptoms are definitely concerning and we need to consider a wide range of possible causes for his lethargy and apparent temperature today. Given he is only 12 weeks old we need to consider infectious causes (hopefully he has started his vaccinations?), to an infectious gastroenteritis, a toxicity, or even an allergic reaction to something in your environment or a bug/bee bite or sting. For now, you are going to need to continue to keep a close eye on him, and if his lethargy doesn't improve within the next hour, I really would encourage you to get him seen by your local ER vet tonight. Because he is so small and young, his symptoms could quickly spiral downwards, so it is certainly better to play it safe in this scenario.

For now, please keep an eye your boy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your boy doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with young Simba and hopefully your boy's lethargy improves in the next 30 - 60 minutes or so. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc