Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Skin abcess on side in cat, now back leg very swollen, no,

Customer Question

skin abcess on side in cat, now back leg very swollen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: no, fight I belive
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Rarey, about 6-7, barn/garage cat
JA: How old is Rarey?
Customer: 6-7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rarey?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
wondering what antibiotic I can purchase at Tractor supply for him
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now based on your history, this sounds like an abscess that has been left untreated and is not causing a cellulitis or potentially impeding normal lymphatic drainage to the tissues beyond the infection. In this case, if this has been left to fester, then we do need to tread with care since there is risk that it could spread into the blood stream and lead to him being very poorly. In regards ***** ***** question, you could check to see if the tractor supply short carries Amoxicillin with Clavulanate (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/amoxicillin--clavulanate-clavamox) or Penicillin (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/penicillin-g) to use here. Though if they don't, then we'd need his local vet to dispense treatment since alternative antibiotics intended for livestock won't be appropriate and some dangerous for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )