Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Her eyes are very watery, Lucky and we think 5 or 6 months

Customer Question

Her eyes are very watery
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Lucky and we think 5 or 6 months maybe
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?
Customer: Sorry 9 weeks old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok when will he call
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think its upper respiratory last week we adopted her and dhe just finished treatments
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're likely to be correct. You've described an epiphora - excessive clear tearing - and at Lucky's age this usually is due to an infectious conjunctivitis. The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is most common and the bacteria Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma may be contributory or be sole infectious agents. In most cases these cats will remiss unaided within 1-3 weeks. I rarely treat with anything more than supplemental fluids and a convalescent food if my patient becomes inappetent. An oxytetracycline-containing ointment (Terramycin ophthalmic ointment) should be considered if the conjunctivitis worsens instead of improves over the initial 10 days of epiphora. This ointment can be found in many pet/feed stores or online. Dosing is a "dab" into each eye thrice daily for a minimum of 10 days.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.