Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

My cat has just come back from the vets 2wks ago we had

Customer Question

Hi my cat has just come back from the vets 2wks ago we had taken him in and they thought he had conjunction gave him drops and it didn't make a difference so then they gave him a steroid drop and with in days the eye filled up with blood on the inside and my cat had become very quiet and gone of his food and also his hair was coming out in clumps. So with that I got him straight back in on Monday they gave him antibiotics jab
And Said he had to be referred to the sister vets Coz they have an eye specialist at that branch, but after having the antibiotics the eye seemed to open up more and he was straight back on his food and acting more like his self...
So tonight we have seen the eye specialist and he has told me my cat may have a condition called fip and if he has then it will result in death they have taken bloods but results won't be back till Monday when I asked how likely it was going to be this from 1-10 10 being the worse case he said 8-9 I just can't believe it
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks

I'm so sorry to hear Bruce has been ill. I do have a few questions for you, that will help me most fully address your concerns.

1. As far as you know- did they find any other abnormalities on his physical besides the eye problem (for example fluid in the chest or abdominal cavities)?

2. What medication is Bruce currently on?

3. Is he still doing well and eating well?

4. Any vomiting, diarrhea?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No they didn't check him anywhere else apart from his eyes they didn't listen to his chest or anything they just looked in his eyes we was in a dark room and the vet just looked in them with his light then when he switched the lights back on he came out with 4 possible out comes that all resulted in no hope cases then he said he had to take his blood. The 1st lot of meds the eye drops was isathal drops then 1wk later they gave him maxitrol eye drops pluse metacam for the pain of the eye. But we wasn't given any meds for him tonight. He has no vomiting and no diarrhoea. He was off his food and last some wait the 2nd wk in to us treating the eye but since Monday when they gave him the antibiotics I can't stop him eating now he has been makeing up for loss of appetite and when they weighed him tonight his weight has gone bk up

I am typing up a response for you, just bear with me.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you

FIP is a type of deadly viral infection; it stands for Feline Infectious Peritonitis. This disease can cause a wide array of symptoms, and there are 2 recognized "forms" of it. The 2 forms are "wet" and "dry" FIP. The wet form is far more common, and results in fluid to build up in the abdomen (causing a pot-bellied appearance) and sometimes in the lungs as well, causing respiratory difficulties. The dry form of FIP accounts for 1/4 of cases, and sometimes can start out affecting the eye only, but will eventually progress to vital organs such as the liver, kidneys, and brain.

The biggest 2 problems with FIP are...it can be VERY tricky to diagnose, and there is no cure. The reason it is so hard to diagnose is because there is no single blood test that can provide a diagnosis. The only blood test available checks for coronavirus exposure. FIP is one type of many coronaviruses. A positive test indicates exposure to a coronavirus. Many healthy cats test positive on this test, who do not have FIP. Therefore, SEVERAL factors come into play when making an FIP diagnosis, some of which include (positive coronavirus test, low white blood cell numbers, elevated globulin proteins in the blood, elevated liver values, and clinical symptoms).

So, in summary, if your kitty comes back with a positive on the test, there must also be some other factors including blood proteins and lymphocyte counts to support an FIP diagnosis.

However, if the test comes back negative, it is HIGHLY unlikely to be FIP.

There are several reasons why your kitty may be experiencing this eye issue. It is good that he saw the eye specialist, because they are going to be the most experienced in making diagnoses of eye conditions. However, the whole body system needs to be taken into account.

The fact that Bruce is feeling better and has put weight back on is certainly a good sign. I sincerely ***** ***** turns out to not be FIP, and to be something easily treatable.

Here is a good summary to read up on, if it turns out to be FIP:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2134&aid=212

And this diagram demonstrates the diagnostic process and how complicated it can be:

http://www.dr-addie.com/downloads/FIPdiagnosisflowchart.pdf

I hope this has helped. Do you have any other questions for me at this time?

Please get back to me any time on this thread if additional concerns come up that you would like to discuss. I hope for the best with Bruce! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!

Hi- just wanted to check in and see how Bruce is doing?