Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat is 16 year old and I had to recently changed her food

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: My cat is 16 year old and I had to recently changed her food to a premium brand merrick kitten food because she was losing to much weight and figured it would help her gain some weight
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: so 2 days passed and i noticed her stomach started to get full and that was fine but today her belly is now bloated so much it looks like a ball inside
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your kitten?
Customer: Littles is her name
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Littles today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but I need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Has Littles been examined and had any bloodwork done to look for the cause of her weight loss?

How quickly has the weight loss occurred?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she had blood work about the weight loss at her vet and they did not find anything wrong. The loss has been happening over many years slowly.
She is a very picky eater and wont eat many foods, she vomits most of them up. When I find a brand she likes I try to keep it going til she decides she doesn't like it again then I look for another sadly this last one she has an allergic reaction by scratching her neck like crazy. I had to change the food quickly that is the only reason I did not use the proper method of changing the food this time.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would be taking her to the vet but I have had some money issues lately and can not take her there right now and i am in panic mode
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My cat is strictly indoor I check for fleas every week by brush and flea comb and she gets lots of affection and frequently check for lumps bumps thru the week to make sure she is alright so I know this is something wrong. The food is the only thing that has been different.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have checked her litter box for worms and checked the butt area for any other worms or other strange things. I have also massaged the belly area softly to see if it was more lumpy than just bloating and it seems pretty circular.