Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Our 5 year old female cat presented with a tumor on her toe.

Customer Question

Our 5 year old female cat presented with a tumor on her toe. After exam it's been noted that she also has a mass in her lymph gland behind the knee on the same leg that has the effected toe. Vet suggests removing the lymph gland and performing a biopsy and after that performing a chest X-ray. I am more inclined to do a chest X-ray first rather than subject her to surgery and anesthesia. If the chest x-ray reveals any mass(es) then I don't see the point of a biopsy or doing anything other than allowing her to live out the rest of her life as long as she isn't in pain. I'm disappointed that our vet would promote her having surgery first rather than an x-ray first considering his strong suspicion of lung-digit syndrome. He also recommended amputating the digit. Maybe time for a new vet??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: spayed female age 5
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you're correct. Not only chest films but also ultrasound of her abdomen should be considered when staging this tumor. If nothing untoward is found, surgical intervention in the form of tumor and lymph node removal is reasonable. Can you upload a photo(s) of this toe tumor to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?