petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My kitties is about 7 years old. She is throwing up was

Customer Question

Hello my kitties is about 7 years old. She is throwing up was every day then the vet gave her some antibiotics by mouth, it worked for a while she put on weight and did not throw up for a while. Then back to throwing up. My vet has given her every test she could think of. The last time the vet gave her a shot in the back of the neck she said there are many cats that have her problem of the intestines, she had that shot June 13 of this year, she did well until the 23, throw up the 28 and 29 .what else can I do? Her food is for sensitive stomach.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

This is a very common scenario in cats and it is likely that there is disease present, but that it is hiding very well. Most of the time with the symptoms you describe, the most likely location of the problem is the GI tract. Some cats have a low grade flare up of pancreatitis which can be a challenge to confirm as it is not always evident on routine bloodwork. Along with that, many of these same cats also have a degree of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or even slow growing intestinal cancer. Unfortunately, either of these can be present and there can be no other abnormalities noted on bloodwork, xray or even ultrasound, although these tests should be run to rule out other conditions that present with the same symptoms. There is a specific GI blood panel that can be requested and if abnormalities noted, can lend support to either pancreatic or intestinal disease. The only way however, to confirm the diagnosis is with a biopsy of the intestine. This can be done via endoscope, but is better performed with an exploratory surgery. The problem with this is that many cat owners are not willing to pursue the diagnosis by these means. It is for that reason that many cats are "suspected" to have IBD or GI cancer as the cause of their weight loss and anorexia once all of the other easy to find things have been ruled out.

I suspect that may be where you are at with your cat. If that is the case, you can discuss with your veterinarian the pros and cons of proceeding with a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis in her situation. Even if you choose to not go the route of biopsy, she may benefit from a course of corticosteroids and perhaps a hypoallergenic diet as sometimes food allergies contribute to the IBD. There are other medications and supplements used to manage IBD as well. Steroids help many cats with either of the two conditions to regain their appetite and gain weight, but if there is intestinal cancer, the result may be short lived. If cancer is confirmed with a biopsy, she may do better with other chemotherapeutic drugs to put her in remission for a longer period of time. If the cause is IBD only, you may be able to decrease or even stop the steroids after you see improvement. Biopsy and confirming the diagnosis is always the better choice, but not always feasible for every case. Work with your veterinarian to decide what is best for you and her.

Here are a few links you may find informative.

intestinal lymphoma

inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)

feline pancreatitis

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z