Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Upper respiratory infection, he cannot be crated to go to

Customer Question

upper respiratory infection, he cannot be crated to go to the vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Jack, he is 4 years old and
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?
Customer: No, he is otherwise healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry Jack has an upper respiratory infection.

Can you please tell me his symptoms?

Is he eating?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is eating but he has stuffy nose and coughing, he is generally very uncomfortable.
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

You can treat most URI's at home. Give 2 drops of honey every 4 hours to sooth his throat.

He can have little noses pediatric nose drops.

Feed him odorous foods like tuna and canned cat food so he keeps eating.

Make a steam room in your bathroom by running a hot shower. Take Jack in for ten minute intervals

Give Jack an anthistamine:

add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.

Please let me know how Jack is doing.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.