Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Seems as if s hair has thinned,And he has lost a lot of

Customer Question

Seems as if his hair has thinned,And he has lost a lot of weight.but he has no problem eating,he is an out doors cat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Mickey's situation. That is good that he's eating well. In a situation with a cat that is losing weight, the things that cross my mind are: hyperthyroidism, diabetes, chronic renal disease, and cancer. These are typically the most common things to be concerned with. The hair being thin, that could be due to the stress on his body from the underlying issue. The other things to consider with him being outdoors is also viral infections with FELV and FIV. Intestinal parasitism could also be a rule out. Do you feel that you can get him to the vet for some blood work as this will be a huge part of figuring out what is going on and what therapy can be initiated for him?