Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

My almost 13-year-old female kitty was recently diagnosed

Customer Question

My almost 13-year-old female kitty was recently diagnosed with pancreatitis. She was given an injection of prednisone about 2 weeks ago. However, within a week, her flapping tail, restlessness, & hiding from us suggested she was in pain. Despite the stress of taking her to our vet 3 X in one week, I wanted to relieve her pain.
The vet. gave her a week's worth of small kitty morphine - she dropped a half pound from 10 lbs. to 9.5 over a 2-month period. She seems a little better. Her appetite is still ravenous. But when I try to pet her, she hides. Still, she doesn't sleep in her normal places - she has the run of the house - but lowers herself gradually on her haunches on the floor and stares in front of her. I worry that she doesn't sleep.
Our vet has done 2 blood tests, discovered abnormality in lipase; kidney & liver function normal, she says. Is there anything else we could do for Minnie?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 5 months ago.

This is Dr. KV. I'm sorry to hear Minnie is not feeling well. Pancreatitis can be quite painful, so it is a good thing Minnie was given pain medication. The best way to get more information at this point would be an abdominal ultrasound. This is fairly non-invasive, but can provide more information to rule out cancer of the pancreas.

Many of the behaviors you are describing also fit with anxiety, so an anti-anxiety supplement or medication may also be helpful. Some cats who suffer from anxiety also suffer from more episodes of pancreatitis.

An ultrasound can also provide info regarding irritable bowel syndrome, but often an intestinal biopsy is required to diagnose IBD.

Please feel free to reach out if I can assist you further.

With appreciation,

Dr. KV

Hi Trudy,

Sorry for the delay...I received your other request for info and wanted to answer your questions here:

I am almost certain there are many qualified vets who could do an abdominal ultrasound in your area. Many ultrasonographers are mobile, so they travel to clinics in the inland empire frequently. Your regular vet should be able to schedule this.

A pain medicine and anti-anxiety medicine are usually fine together. Buspar is often used in kitties, as well as prozac and paxil. I often have some cats on both types of medications.

I do feel animals pick up on our anxiety, and cats are especially sensitive to changes in their owners' moods. If you feel Minnie is very senstitive and in-tune with your emotions, than an anti-anxiety supplement or medication may be very helpful. Royal canin makes a Calm Diet which is also a nice natural remedy. I actually have my anxious cat on this diet and he is doing well with it. There is also a supplement made in a treat form called Composure which I've had success with in many cats who are finicky eaters.

Please feel free to reach out again if I can answer or help with anything. I usually check in to the website daily.

All the best,

Dr. KV

I'm just following up on our conversation about Minnie. How is everything going?

Katie Volat