Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My Siberian cat continues to have what looks like bloody

Customer Question

My Siberian cat continues to have what looks like bloody scratches on his nose and ears. My local vet thought it was sunburn?! Steroid cleared it up but wondering what I can do to avoid it in the first place. I can send photos.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.

How long has he has these issues?

Do you see him grooming or scratching his face more?

Does he go outside?

Can you post your photos so I can see these lesions? You can do so by using the paperclip icon on the text bar or post on any site then paste the link here for me to follow.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has been about 3 weeks this time...it has happened before but gets better. The last time it didn't get better is when I took him to vet and he gave him steroid. He'll come in from outside and have little blood spots all over his nose. Yes, he does groom..not sure if it is more because he prefers to be outside than in. I can tell he wants to scratch but is careful b/c it looks like it would hurt.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is the worst it has ever been. At first when it started happening years ago I thought he was getting in fights with other cats or the mice he brings us....but I don't hear any fighting and he seems to get along with or ignore the other cats around us.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Apologies, my computer has a wee temper tantrum,

Can you tell me if the nose itself is swollen?

Does this totally settle when he is on steroids?

What brand flea treatment do you use? How often?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

I didn't hear back from you in regards ***** ***** other questions I asked about Romeo.

Still, I will leave my thoughts on what I can see in those photos for your return. First, I would note that this doesn’t look like a sunburn or fight wounds. Its possible it does look worse from self trauma if he has scratched here, but I’d be more concerned about this being related to mites, fungal infections (which is a regional risk, so it does depend where you are located), atypical herpes virus, our auto immune issues (ie eosinophilic granuloma complex, etc). And I’d note that if this settles with steroids, it does make the latter a concern but also would make us wary that it is only masking one of the more infectious issues (and hence the relapse).

With this in mind, since he has relapsed, I do think we need to take his vet’s diagnostics further. Ideally, we’d need to consider having a biopsy or fine needle aspiration of this affected tissue (under sedation of course) to determine which issue is present and ensure we can address this properly for him.

Otherwise, at the very least, we’d want to make sure he is kept up on a multi-parasite targeting spot on (ie Advantage Multi, Revolution, Stronghold, etc) so we can rule out and/or address mites here. Furthermore, we’d want to make sure his vet started Romeo on a cat safe anti-inflammatory and pain relief. That way we can reduce any soft tissue inflammation but also manage the discomfort he sounds to have with this.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )