PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She is an inside cat and snuck outside 3 days ago. I spotted

Customer Question

She is an inside cat and snuck outside 3 days ago. I spotted her hiding place two nights ago. I have not been able to pick her up because she scratches and thrashes. I went to the vet to get a sedative but she hasn't eaten the food. Help!?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: She is hiding in outdoor shrubs. How can I get this cat indoors. At this point we are both exhausted and sleep deprived.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Fiona, and I received the sedative from the Vet today.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fiona?
Customer: Are you reading what I am writing?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hi, Kofi. Thanks for your question.

The most important thing here will be to get her to eat something. Using highly fragrant food like sardines or kippers from a tin may encourage her to eat. Once this has been done, once she's eating, a humane trap can then be used to lure her into a spot for feeding at which point she will be trapped and can be transported inside. You may be able to buy a humane trap from any local feed stores or even to borrow one from a rescue agency.

If you have been able to get your hands on her, you might also consider just investing in some thick gloves, walking out there, picking her up, transferring her directly into a kennel that's large and easy to put her in and then moving her inside. The most important thing here is not to be bitten. Thick leather gloves that come up mid-arm typically work, but you must exercise caution, as well.

Another option may be to have animal control come out to your home and remove her from the property, into a kennel where she can be taken inside (some locations off this, others do not).

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in, Kofi. How are things going with Fiona? Any progress?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy