Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Has a bump behind ear she has ear infections bump went from

Customer Question

has a bump behind ear she has ear infections bump went from small marble size to have size of ping pong ball 1 month
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?
Customer: mom
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mom?
Customer: 14 years old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Is the care an inside or outside cat?

Has he been with any other cats where he could have gotten an injury there?

Can you post a Picture of the bump and ear?

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
has not been with other cats shes a house cat
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

Can you post a Picture of the bump and ear please?

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no cant take photo so far no answers just questions
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

I will opt out because without a visual I cannot tell what is actually happening and I do not want to just say go to a Vet visit. So sorry Another expert may be able to assist you.

Joan

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'll follow up for Joan for you. Any bump that increases in size so rapidly over a period of one month will be either a cyst or, more commonly, a tumor. An abscess would have opened and drained by now and Mom would have been quite painful until that happened. These don't respond to conservative care such as topicals applied to them. They might be drained if cystic (fluid filled) or need to be surgically excised which should be considered at this time before it continues to grow and surgery becomes more difficult. Because Mom is an older cat, make sure that her heart is carefully auscultated (listened to) and a pre-operative blood panel is performed prior to anesthesia. We need to know that she's a good candidate for anesthesia or, at least, how to manage her anesthesia as safely as possible should something untoward show up in her exam and blood work.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
you think its a tumor
Because of the severe ear infection would it more likely a cyst do both cyst and tumors get surgically removed

A bump - cyst or tumor - behind the ear shouldn't be related to an ear infection. Both cysts and tumors are surgically removed. I do have the option of draining a cyst with a needle which buys my patient time but if the cyst wall remains, it continues to secrete fluid and refill the cyst; hence, the need to excise the entire cyst to be curative. Please continue our conversation if you wish.