Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My 15 year old cat has a dificult time laying down but not

Customer Question

my 15 year old cat has a dificult time laying down but not so much in getting up. His eat I
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Loops. Hit send too soon
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Loops?
Customer: Ooops again. Petie has normal litter habits and eating habits and does not drink any more water than usual and is currently on medicine for minor pancreatitis.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Michelle, we've found that essentially all cats over the age of 12 years suffer from osteoarthritis. We didn't think that this was a significant problem in our agile cats but a recent study involving imaging of these cats revealed the high prevalence of osteoarthritis. We're somewhat restricted when it comes to drug therapy for cats such as Loops. In humans and dogs we can prescribe a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) but we have to be careful with these drugs in cats who don't metabolize them as do humans and dogs. The most commonly prescribed NSAID for chronic use in cats is meloxicam. It's approved for use in this manner overseas but not in the United States and so you'll be asked to sign a waiver should it be chosen for Loops. I haven't had a problem with it as long as I dose in the low range of recommended dosing.

An antiinflammatory glucocorticosteroid such as prednisolone can be prescribed but does have adverse effects on most every body system - particularly in a 15 year old. The narcotic tramadol is a safe analgesic but it isn't antiinflammatory and may be unacceptably sedative in Loops.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.