Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

My cat has a lump on her lower right jaw area didn't have it

Customer Question

My cat has a lump on her lower right jaw area didn't have it last week what could it be? She was born 5/2008
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Figaro
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Filago?
Customer: no, she has a regular appetite, but she trys to avoid leaning on that side or avoids sleeping on that side
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There's no pertinent that I'm aware of.

There are a few possibilities that come to mind with a swelling on the jaw:

1. Abscess (from a bite wound, grass awn, cuterebra, or infected tooth)- these need to be treated by veterinarian with a course of antibiotics. If there is a bad tooth she may need dental work as well.

2. Swollen lymph node due to infection or inflammation

3. Hematoma or seroma (collection of blood or fluid secondary to trauma/injury)

4. Tumor of the jaw or oral cavity

5. Reaction from insect bite or sting

My recommendation is to schedule a checkup with her veterinarian as soon as possible within the next day or two so that they can determine what it is and how to proceed. They may want to perform a test called a fine-needle aspirate- which will involve inserting a needle into the lump and collecting some cells to be examined under the microscope.

I hope this has helped. Do you have any other questions for me at this time?

If you are all set and would like to accept my answer, please provide a rating for me. I hope she feels better soon!