Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

I have a sweet stray cat who has sustained mutiple ijuries

Customer Question

I have a sweet stray cat who has sustained mutiple ijuries from fighting(i. Suspect) as he was fine for months. I made a paste of amoxicillinwith Vaseline. But he now has a new injury on his leg, an area of round broken skin and the hair appears almost shaved. He now has clear discharge from the nose and an area under the injury on the leg that is round and swollen. About the size of a half dollar. His respiration seems abnormally rapid. But he has a voracious appetite. I have a full ten days of human reflex. Please understand I want to take him to a vet but I have no money till friday, I am disabled with multiple spine problems. I recently got very sick giving my amoxicillin to two cats trying to help them. I know I must reduce the dose for body weight etc. I am afraid of him becoming septic. I would do anything humanly possible to save him or any of my cats. They are my children. If you feel he needs a vet I will have to see if one here will take a post dated check. I'm trying so hard to help him. Very concerned about the respiration. Although he is not lethargic and eating like a champ. I have been adding water to the food to hydrate him as it's hot and he may be slightly febrile. Can I try the reflex and how many doses a day? Bid, tis?my humble thanks.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

Hello Daria,

Bless you for rescuing Biscuit!

The swollen, round injury is an abscess. apply almost hot, damp compresses to get it to burst and drain.

What is "human reflex"?

You can apply raw honey to any sore or irritated areas. It is a remarkable healing agent:

He can have little noses pediatric nose drops or an antihistamine for his nose:

add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

If he has a fever apply a cold compress to his tummy and pads.

I am not worried about his breathing because if he was very ill he would not be eating so well.If he is congested make a steam room in your bathroom by running a hot shower. Take him in for ten minute intervals to break it up.

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,