Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

My cat was diagnosed with urinary infection 2 days ago, on

Customer Question

My cat was diagnosed with urinary infection 2 days ago , on antibiotics. was feeling better but now she passed a blood clot and is back to trying to pee constantly, Still drinking and eating a little. She is 18, kidneys have been fine, no crystals found. kidney levels as of February were only very slightly elevated.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Peanut
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Peanut?
Customer: She has been on tapazole for 10 years 1/4 pill 2XD and it has remained stable all this time. She is also on enalapril 1/4 2xD and atenolol1/4 2xD and 1/4 pepcid 2xD. She has a great appetite and this came on suddenly. Xray did not find an obstruction and tests did not find crystala. It did show blood in urine and a low lvel of bactria
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This poor girl. My top worries when we identify a suspected UTI and the symptoms do not seem to be abating is either the bacteria causing the infection is resistant to the chosen antibiotic or this is not a UTI. If not a UTI then the top concerns would be bladder tumor (best seen via ultrasound) or idiopathic cystitis (sterile inflammation of the bladder).

After 48-72 hours on the antibiotic, we should see tremendous improvement and not a back slide such as this. Therefore, if Peanut was my patient I would recommend a recheck to do 1) ultrasound of the urinary system that included both kidneys and urinary bladder and 2)urine culture (if nothing seen on the ultrasound). Now a culture can be complicated by the fact she is on an antibiotic. I mean, it can lead to a false negative because the high concentration of the antibiotic in urine sitting in-wait on its way to the lab can sometimes kill a bacteria, even if resistant. But it is still a worthwhile test.

If there is any evidence of bleeding or anemia on a recheck exam anywhere else (weakness, pale gums, new heart murmur, etc), then updating some lab work to ensure there is not a bleeding issue going on is also an important step.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.