Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My cat has been bitten by a stray on s nd leg. This is s

Customer Question

My cat has been bitten by a stray on his hind leg. This is his second bite in this month.Should I let that cure on its own or take him to a vet. Just skeptical if medicines may cause some damage to his kidneys ?Thanks,
Harsu
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Raju's injury. I'm going to be very honest here. I would get him to your vet to have him checked over and that wound / bite area cleaned up. When I have a case like this come to my ER, I will start these cases on an oral antibiotic to help treat that bite as it has a very good chance of becoming infected / forming an abscess. The risk of an antibiotic causing injury to him is way, way, way less than the chance of the bite wound becoming infected and that causing bigger issues.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your prompt response Dr.Bruce.I have a few more queries around a stray cat bite.
Raju had got an anti-rabies vaccine in January last year.
What should be the frequency of this vaccine ?
What are the symptoms of a rabies infection and how long after a bite would they start to appear ?Thanks
Harsu

That is good that he had his rabies vaccine in January of last year. Rabies vaccines are given / recommended based on the specific vaccine. Here in the US, depending on that type, they are typically a 1 year or 3 year vaccine. Rabies itself could start to show clinical signs in weeks to months after a bite. The incubation period is influenced by age, innervation of the site bit, to infection can be affected by the viral variant, the quantity of virus inoculated, where the bite happened as far as how long it takes for the virus to get to the brain, and other factors . In naturally occurring cases of rabies, ranges of incubation before neurologic signs show have been reported to be 3 to 24 weeks with an average of 4-6 weeks in cats. As far as the signs of an infection, they can have a furious or paralytic form. Rabies can be quite variable in its presentation and atypical signs are common.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Raju. How is everything going?