Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

I have a cat who is showing many changes that are very

Customer Question

I have a cat who is showing many changes that are very concerning to me. He is 6 months old, losing his fur, and has liquedy red poop.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. KV. I'm here to help with Tender heart. It sounds like he is not feeling well. Can you tell me a bit more.....does he go outside? Is he vaccinated?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He has never been outside and he did get some shots when I took him to the vet at 3 months

Ok, great, thank you for the additional information. So, he is pooping blood? Nothing solid? Has he gotten into anything you are aware of?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As far as I'm swear he hasn't gotten into anything. The poop is a dark reddish color and is almost a water consistency... His coat is very oily/greasy and he is losing his hair in many places. He is still eating and drinking regularly and is still active with the other cats.

And none of your other cats have any of the same symptoms?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not that I have noticed

Ok, thank you for the additional information. The consistency of his stool that you describe does not sound good at all. It can be very dehydrating for a cat to have bloody diarrhea. He could have a parasite or bacterial infection causing this, which could be found by doing a fecal test with your vet. Or, he may be having an adverse food reaction. At such a young age, it is ideal to start with fecal testing and diarrhea medication. Then, if he is still not feeling well, a different diet or a hypoallergenic diet would be a good idea.

Can I help you with any other questions tonight?

Feel free to reach out if I can assist you further.

Good luck with Tender heart.

With appreciation,

Dr. KV