Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 8 year old cat started to vomit and then had diarrhea. He

Customer Question

My 8 year old cat started to vomit and then had diarrhea. He can't hold down food but I have been able to give him water through a little syringe.
This has been going on for about 1 day. Should I take him in tonight? or can it wait until morning.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How is he otherwise? Still fairly bright, happy and responsive ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Still fairly bright, happy and responsive. He has had a history of upset tummy. I gave him a 1/4 tablet of pepcid ac. But now he's drooling. but not crying or wincing.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The situation is this, if he is still fairly bright and happy then in most cases you would be taking very little risk in just observing him overnight and then seeing your regular vet tomorrow. Of course if you become more concerned you can opt to see an ER Vet sooner. Giving him a little water orally on the hour may well help.

2. The Pepcid is not a bad idea, but sometimes it can make cats drool, but this on it's own is nothing to worry about.

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your cat's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his vomiting and diarrhoea ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HI There-He's doing a little bit better. He stopped vomiting and has become interested in food again but not at the usual level yet. Still has some diarrhea. But he is drinking and peeing normally. His general mood is ok, but not interested in playing as much as I'm sure he doesn't feel 100%.

Hello again,

Thanks for the update, I am in a very different time zone to you and have just logged in this morning ...

Basically if he gets a little better each day then you can reasonably expect improvement to continue but if in doubt it may be best to have your vet check him over as sometimes prescription drugs such as antibiotics may be required.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK, thanks. Hopefully he is better tonight when I get home from work.

Please let me know how it goes ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good morning. Dex is back on the mend. Finally eating and drinking normally as of yesterday afternoon. And no more diarrhea. He had a small bowel movement overnight that was solid. Hopefully he is in the clear!

Great news! So glad he is improving ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

Of course I am very glad to have advised you and even more glad that Dex has been unaffected by his experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott