Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat has a lining coverinone eye, 8 years old heis

Customer Question

my cat has a white lining coverinone eye
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: 8 years old heis squinting
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: romeo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Romeo?
Customer: no perfect healthfine thiss mori=ning
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Romeo. My name is Rebecca. I am a veteinarian and will do my best to help.

What you see covering his eye is probably his third eyelid. It is a normal structure but you usually do not see it. If he is squinting and covering his eye with the third eyelid, he may have an eye injury, or infection. Is it just one eye, or both? If it is one, an injury is more likely.

I would consider this a possible emergency that should be checked by a veterinarian today, or tomorrow at the latest. I would be using a special dye to see if there is an injury or scratch on the cornea (clear covering of the eye) which may require eye drops, topical anesthetic for pain (holding the third eyelid over the eye is a sign of eye pain), or even oral pain medication.

There are no safe pain medications you can use in cats that are made for people except baby aspirin. A cat can take 1/2 of a baby or a low dose aspirin, but only once every 3 to 4 days. Tylenol is poisonous to cats.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What can I do for him . massage his eye while closed and see if it will go back?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think his nails are too sharp and poked his eye
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

No, do not do this. He is using his third eyelid for protection of his eye and it is OK for the third eyelid to cover it. He can move it out of the way whenever he wants to. Do not massage or touch his eye.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is sleeping and periodically rubbing his eye. What can I do for him?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A warm compress
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I would actually try a cool moist compress. You can try the 1/2 baby aspirin if you have it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do u think he may have scratched his eye with his nail? If not gone by morning I should go to the vet. Can I wait till morning?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Yes, morning should be OK. He may have scratched himself with his nail; that is one possibility.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nothing else I can do for now?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Only cool moist compresses, 1/2 baby aspirin (don't repeat for 3 to 4 days), and keeping him in a darkened room may help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Let me know if this was helpful! And if you have any other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know how he is doing, and if my answer was helpful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I did not hear back from you. How is Romeo doing? Can I answer anything else? If this was helpful, please let me know.