Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has a allergy condition, she is constantly licking

Customer Question

my cat has a allergy condition , she is constantly licking and biting herself. I have been to two veterinary doctors and they have given her shots for the itching. I am unable to take her to a vet because she is very difficult to get her in the carrier. Last time she bit my daughter, she needed to go to the doctor for infection and tetnus shot. Can she take some
kind of pill or lotion I can use to make her feel better.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

While it would be ideal to have Bella seen by her local vet (either as a house visit or by having a local mobile vet come to her ) so that a long acting steroid or daily immune modulating medication like Atopica can be started for her allergies; we do have a few options you can try just now. Specifically, an OTC antihistamine could be tried (since lotions would just be licked off). Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. Alternatively, you can also use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. But these would be our best options if Bella isn't keen to get in the carrier to be seen at the vet's practice.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hi Kathy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

Dr. B.