Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is 22 years old. He has had reasonably good health

Customer Question

My cat is 22 years old. He has had reasonably good health until recently. He had an infected tooth that was under his gum. He was sedated and the tooth removed along with pus etc. His eye also had the 3rd eye lid up. This is now a week ago and although his eyelid is going down, he still is not really interested in food but is drinking. He is also barely moving around, this evening i also noticed a very fast heartbeat. He has been on temgesic and clavulox. Of course i am concerned, please can you give your advice? thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Where any bloods tested before or after the extraction?

How often is he getting the Temgesic? Does he seem very sedate?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Is he drinking normally?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Can you take a heart rate for me (just count the beats for 10 seconds + then multiply the # ***** 6)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi there, yes they did do some bloods and due to the infection most results were elevated, and they state they would redo tests in a couple of weeks. He is getting the Temgesic once a day, the dose has just been lowered, but yes extremely sedate and lethargic, barely moves around. He has no retching, gagging etc or vomiting and is drinking fine. His gums look okay to me although hes not that happy with me trying to look, maybe as he had teeth out. In regards ***** ***** heart rate, i should clarify sorry, the sudden speed of pulse is around his neck , it comes on for about 5 seconds then goes, doesnt seem to worry him but its noticeable.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that blood work was done, since we can see underlying kidney issues be worsened by anesthesia/sedation. So, its good we can remove that concern for him. As well, we can also see appetite loss post extractions related to these antibiotics as they can cause nausea. But if we can put that aside, I'd be concerned that the current pain relief dosing may not be working for him. If he is sedate when he is on it, this could make him less keen to do anything. Though as it doesn't last 24 hours, its quite possible that he is too sore to eat the rest of the time. Therefore, we'd want to consider dosing every 8-12 hours but possible at a lower dose (if you let me know his weight, is current dose, and the milligrams of the tablets -- we can work that out for him).

Further to that, since he can drink, we could consider watering down a calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned kitten food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure) for your lad. Or there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. These may be easier for him to eat or even syringe feed if we need to . And all of these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in.

Otherwise, I am a bit concerned about this neck pulse. They rate should be the same as his heart but we could see increased visibility of the pulse in the vessels within the neck related to heart issues (where there is changes in the vessel pressure from what it should be). So, that likely isn't putting him off his food but we'd want his vet to recheck his heart at their post operative check since we may need to address any early stage heart issues that may also be lurking. But for the moment, we'd want to try the above to keep him eating if we can and would want to consider reducing the dose +/- increasing the frequency to better address any pain present here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )