Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC
94403761

I have a Ferrel cat that seems to have a broken left left

Customer Question

I have a Ferrel cat that seems to have a broken left left leg. his paw is swollen about 5x of normal. the problem is nobody can catch him to get treated by a vet. What can I do. He is eating and drinking.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has been 7 days since this happened. Like I said he is eating and drinking water. He has a bed to sleep in at night. I just can't catch him, nobody can.
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years. I am sorry to hear that you have an injured feral cat. The best thing to do is to obtain a live trap (from a shelter or possibly a home improvement store), place a can of cat food or tuna in the opposite end of the trap once it is all set up. That is the most likely way to be able to catch the cat. Then take the entire trap into the shelter or veterinary office. It will likely need to be anesthetized to examine.

If you are still interested in a telephone call, please let me know. I should be available for a telephone call for the next 20 minutes or so. Otherwise, if you have other questions, I will check in on Sunday morning.

If I have answered your question to your satisfaction, please take a moment to rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Dr. Melanie. Unfortunately I have tried the trap. He is to smart for that. You see, I have taken care if him since he was a kitten he is 4 years old. he knows his name. he will get close to me but I have never been able to pet him. He is not neutered. I live in town in a small town in Idaho. I have a vet and he came to the yard with two techs to try and catch him to no avail. even though he is injured he ran like a bat out of hell. He is very smart and to feral. I don't want anybody to chase after him in fear he will do further damage to his leg. the vet did not have an answer. I want an honest answer. Will he eventually heal or since his paw (foot) is VERY swollen the break is around the back ankle or will he die. what I'm guessing it is infection that is causing the paw (or foot) to be so swollen. Like I said he is eating and drinking pretty good and his weight is maintaining. Also he is urinating and pooping but he is moving very gingerly when he leaves the yard during the day. He go's up the alley and disappears until he comes home to eat and sleep in in his bed out in the shed. I'm emotionally tied to this animal even though i can't love on him.