Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

Our cat just licked a large spider that had been sprayed

Customer Question

Our cat just licked a large spider that had been sprayed with raid spider spray. The spider had been sprayed about 30 minutes before the cat licked it (so it was dry). We are unsure of how many times he licked it or truly if he did at all but the spider was moved from where it was. Product contains petroleum distillate. Would this small amount be harmful?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Max but exposure to low levels of this product should be safe.

Spider sprays such as this one contain very low concentrations of pyrethroids which is often less than would be contained in cat flea sprays.

Cats are quite sensitive to concentrated pyrethroids but levels less than 1% are not expected to be toxic to cats. I believe that this product doesn't contain but about 0.1%

Often the biggest concern with a spray of this sort is exposure to the hydrocarbons ( the "inert" or "other" ingredients), which can cause respiratory irritation if inhaled or gastrointestinal upset (nausea, vomiting) if ingested.

However, since Max only ingested a very small amount of this spray off of the spider, I'd not expect any serious systemic effects.

I hope this helps to reassure you about him. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb