PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My kitten has vomiting days and also has diarrhea days. He

Customer Question

Hello, my kitten has vomiting for three days and also has diarrhea for two days. He is 2 month old, and he just had his second vaccine before he started to vomiting. He started diarrhea yesterday with worms, and I went to see vet. He has normal temperature. The vet gave him worming medication and praziquantel, and gave me some Hill's prescription diet food. He has not eaten anything for three days and barely drink water. His starts to have watery stool today, and looks lethargy. What should I do now? Can I have some home remedies to treat him? If so, what kind of remedy you recommend. Thank you!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience. I am reviewing your question right now.

There are a few things that can be done at home to help make a pet with a stomach upset feel better. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

If this does not result in the improvements you’re wanting, it may be necessary to have your companion examined by a veterinarian and injectable medications for nausea administered. I’m particularly a big fan of Cerenia for vomiting as it tends to work quickly, does a great job and works for a full 24 hours. We become worried around the 3rd day of a cat not eating that their liver may begin failing through a process called hepatic lipidosis. If your companion is not better by tomorrow morning, I would not delay and have him seen at the ER.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How is your kitten feeling today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?