Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I took my cat Rex (*abyssinian 8.5 years old) to the Fitzroy

Customer Question

Hello there, I took my cat Rex (*abyssinian 8.5 years old) to the Fitzroy vet on Wednesday after seeing blood in his stool. He had a bit of bloating and soreness around the belly but the vet said she couldn't feel anything hard. She gave us some antibiotics and 'digestive care' food to help any possible inflammation. Today/tonight however he is still seeming very bloated and hasn't made stool. His appetite is still very keen and his mood about 7/10 (on and off) but I'm worried he may be quite blocked up. He's a keen eater of all things (edible and not so edible😳) so it wouldn't surprise me if it were an obstruction. 😕
Should I take him to emergency tomorrow (Sunday). Or wait for a follow up appointment on Monday when the clinic opens?
Again, he seems 'ok' and I'm not far from an emergency but I don't want to risk it if a sudden decline is probable.
Thanks, Cassie 🙂
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Rex. Is he having some gastrointestinal issues? When did he have his last stools? How did they look? When did he last urinate?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the Wednesday I mentiond was the last time. I noticed a bit of blood In it (I've seen this before a while back) so I took him to the vet. She couldn't feel any obvious obstructions so I'm not sure what it is.

This situation is one where the good news is that he's eating and drinking still. The seriousness escalates if they aren't eating / drinking. The bloating that you're seeing could be due to stool backing up. There isn't a lot that can be done at home for this. What would be the best thing to do is to take an x-ray of his abdomen to see if this is stool that is building up or if it could be due to something else. Bloating in the belly in cases I've seen can also be due to masses or fluid in the abdomen.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks for that. In reguards to my question of the urgency, is your advise that I wait until Monday for a clinic appointment? Obviously I will continue monitoring his condition for any changes. But would he be in any mass pain or discomfort that would require hospital/emergency for a quicker soliton/alleviation? Thanks

If he was to stop eating, start vomiting, get uncomfortable or seem stressed - then the urgency raises with this situation. IF he's not being altered in any big way, then it may be ok to continue to see how he does over the weekend and then get him checked on Monday.