Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Wow, is this ...sorry, I'm just so upset. I have a 14 & half

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: Wow, is this for real...sorry, I'm just so upset. I have a 14 & half old tuxedo cat. I noticed last night he was licking his behind. I looked at it & found a scab/ lesion next to his anus? He's not acting different? Thank you SO MUCH!
JA: I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you. I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: We've been going to the same Vet for 16 years. Mojo, is on medication for a blood disease. I'm very concern about this lesion...maybe a abscess?? It's not bleeding..it's scab over. Thank you!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could have caused this scab in your boy and the most likely cause would be a wound from fighting and/or an underlying abscess. If the area is swollen, then yes - an abscess is much more likely. We also have to consider an anal gland abscess given the area the scab is on your boy. This can occur when the anal glands (that are either side of the rectum) become blocked and rupture. There is also the small chance this could be another skin lesion altogether, although given the location, a scab due to an inflammatory cause is much more likely.

If he is relatively comfortable with it, then you could carefully wipe the area with some warm salty water twice daily over the weekend. If the area becomes more swollen, if he seems painful or distressed, then you will need to get him seen over the weekend by your local vet or ER vet. Hopefully the area settles and heals over the next couple of days, but it is much the same on Monday, definitely follow up on this with your regular vet first thing on Monday. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.