Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital

Our 9 year old indoor female cat has never had fleas before,

Customer Question

Our 9 year old indoor female cat has never had fleas before, however, she has them very severe for the first time now. She has scratched herself until she has scabs. She is normally always by my side, but now she just secludes herself under my daughter's bed. She is still eating, drinking, and using the bathroom. What is the best way to get rid of the fleas in her and keep the fleas from taking over our home? Thank you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 4 months ago.

Hi Katherine,

This is Dr. KV. Sorry to hear Pheobe has fleas. There are several effective products for flea prevention for cats. Cheristin is an over the counter option. 2 other preventative options are Revolution and Comfortis...both of those require a prescription from your veterinarian. If Phoebe is itchy, it can take a couple weeks for the itchiness to subside. If the scabs and itchiness are really bothering her, your vet can give her a steroid and antibiotic medication to help her feel better faster. As far as your home is concerned, the best thing to do is vacuum once or twice weekly and ensure all your pets are on monthly flea preventative.

Please feel free to reach out if I can assist you further.

With appreciation,

Dr. KV

Expert:  Katie Volat replied 3 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pheobe. How is everything going?
Katie Volat
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The over the counter medication was not available in either pet supply store in our small area. We ended up having to pay another Veterinarian to see Pheobe and get the medication from them. Then we had to bath her ourselves in dish soap to get rid of the fleas that were on her. Then we treated her the next day with the one month flea medication from the vet.
She is doing much better now. The fleas are almost completely gone from her and the house.
I appreciate your advice, but we ended up paying double in the end.
It just doesn't seem fair, but I should have known better.
Thank you anyway.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Am I going to get charged again for the information I added above??

I am glad you were able to get appropriate care and treatment for Pheobe's flea problem. You have not been charged for any of the information you have received from this website. You are only charged when you rate the answer with a positive rating of 3 stars or higher.