Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Eye partially closed exudate- I have human erythromycin eye

Customer Question

Eye partially closed green exudate- I have human erythromycin eye ointment here- safe to use? How often
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Samson- he is about 7 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Samson?
Customer: Mostly outdoor cat
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

1. Sorry to hear about Samson's eye problem, hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. The likes of Erythromycin ophthalmic ointment USP, 0.5% is sometimes prescribed for cats with simple eye infections although it is not licensed for use in animals. However like all antibiotics of this sort it has a very high margin of safety so if it does not do any good it would be very unlikely to cause any harm.

2. If you are dealing with a simple eye infection then this eye ointment could well be very beneficial, you would normally apply it the cat's eye three or four times a day for five days or so. However be aware that eye problems in the cat can sometimes quickly get worse so if you note any deterioration or if things do not quickly resolve you should seek hands on veterinary help ASAP.

3. You can reference this website for further information on the topic { It says for dogs on this site but it applies just the same for cats } : LINK

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Samson's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Samson is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his eye condition ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello and welcome,

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott