Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My cat has been gagging with what a suppose is a hairballs

Customer Question

My cat has been gagging with what a suppose is a hairballs for the past 4-5 days. He has not thrown up yet. He doesn't seem to be in pain, but he gags multiple times per day. I just started giving him treats that are suppose to help get rid of a hairball. Can a vet do anything more for him or should I wait it out and see if the hairball yreats work?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears to me that your guy has a hair ball or something else causing a partial obstruction. This mass is too far down his digestive tract to come out his mouth but it is still causing nausea. The best thing to do is purchase a product called Laxatone or Petromalt at the local pet store. Give 1/4 inch of this paste every 4 hrs for the first day and then this same dose twice per day for 2 days. If he is feeling better, then we have moved this partial obstruction through the digestive tract and he will be fine. Keep him on a maintenance dose of Laxatone twice per week to prevent this from occurring again. If he is still gagging, you will have to have your vet examine your cat to be sure we have not missed something or this hair mass is so stuck that it may have to be removed with surgery.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta