Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My male Birman has been scratching frequently and licking.

Customer Question

My male Birman has been scratching frequently and licking. Indoor only. When I took him to the Vet they thought it was seasonal allergies but I don't think it is. There are no sores; fleas; or bald areas. He also has some eye drainage. Occasional hair balls. As a kitten he was diagnosed with Clemedia. I tried derma wipes but he hates them. I am thinking its allergies. Could he be tested?
I feed him and his brother Tiki Cat sea bass or tuna can food and have Wellness dry food available. I give them Halo freeze-dried chicken as treats. Any advice?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question your itchy male Birman (Pinot or Grigio?).
I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.
In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• Is he on any types of medication at all, including antihistamines?
  • How long have you had him?

I'm curious to know these things because those three diseases are the most common reasons for serious illness that doesn't respond to treatment, and FIP in particular can be very hard to diagnose.

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. In the meantime I'll get you links to information about allergy testing. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

In short, yes... allergy testing is available. Blood tests and skin tests are available. Please read this article and we can discuss further...

http://pets.thenest.com/allergy-testing-dogs-3885.html

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

Additionally, it may be helpful to know that while the vast majority of cats who lick excessively even though their skin and hair coat look normal, some cats do this as a result of:

• anxiety
  • pain
  • obsessive behavior/compulsive behavior