Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My 12 year old female car had never been sick til now. She

Customer Question

My 12 year old female car had never been sick til now. She had acute cystitis this past week but ER vet found a mass in her abdominal are he felt was not related. It is large I thought she was just getting fat. How do I determine if this mass is cancer or benign
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Marley!

Now in regards ***** ***** question, if she has a mass and we want to know what it is, we do have a few options. First, since the less invasive the technique the better for her, you can request that her vet collect an ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration or biopsy of the mass. (Just to note, if they are using the ultrasound to see the mass they will also be able to determine what it is attached to, which can aid diagnosis). This can be done often with light sedation and one collected can be sent to the vet lab for analysis to tell us if it is cancerous and what type it may be. Based on that, your vet will be able to advise you of potential treatment options for her.

Otherwise, if there is concerns of the mass being very vascular or likely to bleed, then you could have her vet take a surgical biopsy. This would be more invasive since she'd need anesthesia and they would have to open her surgically. The benefit of this is that they will be able to take a larger sample for analysis (which will increase the chance of diagnosis) but also may be able to remove the whole mass at the same time to get it away and out of her.

So, those would be out next potential diagnostic options for Marley if we do want to know what is present, whether its cancerous, and what we can do to best treat it for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )