Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

Lethargic. Temp upand back down. Not eating. Drinking.

Customer Question

Lethargic. Temp upand back down. Not eating. Drinking. Weeing and pooing. Vet has given antibiotics, painkiller, fluids and as done bloods for pancreatitis kidney, bladder etc all normal. Came home last night has done two poos and weed. Still lethargic, not eating. When he tries to jump his back legs aren't quite following properly. Vet also done xray and all fine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Normal. How old is Normal?
Customer: Arfur is 5yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Normal?
Customer: Licking lips.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A lethargic and anorexic cat poses a diagnostic challenge particulary if conservative testing in the form of blood and urine tests plus X-rays haven't determined the cause of those symptoms. Because he's licking his lips - an indication of nausea/gastroesophageal reflux (acid reflux/heartburn) - and the fact that biochemical testing isn't usually informative enough when the disorder resides in the gastrointestinal tract itself my next diagnostic of choice would be an abdominal ultrasound - imaging far more sensitive than X-rays when the GI tract needs to be evaluated.

Can you upload a copy of Arfur's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Arfur's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.