Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

About 10 months ago i had a lump on my cats neck checked by

Customer Question

Hello,about 10 months ago i had a lump on my cats neck checked by a pathologist, it was determined that the lump was benign and should only be removed if it was a problem and effected my cats mobility.on saturday i noticed my cat was hiding under my bed and a chair and seemed really spooked, i then noticed that her lump had a scab on it.my cat is now back to normal, playing, cuddling and exploring. at no point did she lose her appetite or stop using the bathroom.my cat is just under 3 years old. we do have another cat, and am wondering if maybe it was just scratched open or if it could be something worse and cause for concern
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty! Do you happen to know what type of mass the pathologist thought your cat had?

Is the mass increased in size at all? Does it feel warm to the touch? Is there any pain in the area or discharge?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i cannot remember the name, but i seem to remember them saying it was a pocket of fat cells. she isnt in pain, and i can touch and move the cyst with no reaction from her. the cyst is not warm to the touch
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Ok. It is possible your kitty could have gotten into a wrestling match with the other kitty and gotten a scratch, or sometimes masses that are cystic can drain. This isn't usually a concern unless they become infected or it occurs repeatedly. I would recommend keeping a close eye on the area until it heals completely. Check it at least daily for signs of redness, swelling, discharge, or heat. If any of these occur, an exam is warranted. You can apply topical triple antibiotic ointment (like neosporin) twice daily to the area.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the scab is kind of red, im not sure if i should just take her to the vet anyway, im worried about her.
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

If it will ease your fears, then there is absolutely no harm in taking her to the vet! They can be sure there isn't any sign of infection and that an antibiotic is not needed. It never hurts to have your kitty examined, so if your mind will be more at ease after she has been looked at, by all means go ahead and make an appointment for her!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
since the scab is red i should take her to the vet?
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

I don't think the scab being red is definitely a bad sign. It could just be a new scab that hasn't gotten thicker or darkened yet. But it sounds like your mind would be put more at ease if your vet examined her. I don't think it is an emergency if she is otherwise doing well, but having an exam is never a bad idea. In the meantime, until you are able to have her seen or while you are waiting, I would apply triple antibiotic ointment and watch closely for redness of the mass (around the scab), discharge, heat, or swelling.