Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have 2 1/2 yr old Blue Point Siamese mix. Abbey has a

Customer Question

I have 2 1/2 yr old Blue Point Siamese mix. Abbey has a cough at times like she is trying to cough up something, but will swallow and never spit anything up. This is not an everyday thing, but at times can happen a few times a day. On occasion she will throw up her meal and it looks like she has a "hair ball" in the mixture. COuld she be trying to expel a hair ball, and just swallows as a reflex ? Thank you, CFB
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the blue point Siamese will be able to digest that. What is the blue point Siamese's name?
Customer: Her name is "Abigail" a/k/a Abbey DOB is 12/4/2013 her approx. weight is 12 lbs. She eats very well, drinks plenty of water, and her potty habits are all normal. On occasion I give her bits of lettuce, she loves it. very small amount. Is this a bad thing for her.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about And?
Customer: She is an "inside cat" she does go out on screen enclosed patio. She gets wet and dry food daily, and I give her "Greenie's" as a treat. I give her the ones for "Hairball Control" . Her name is Abbey
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

These coughing episodes that you see, do any of them look like this?

How often do the episodes happen where she "swallows down" what she's coughing up?