Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Cat is not eating well. Not using litter box much. Seems

Customer Question

Cat is not eating well. Not using litter box much. Seems upset with some environmental changes.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Mark and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to be of help to you and Simba.

I'm so sorry to hear he's not eating well and not using the litterbox much.

What are the environmental changes he's going through, now?

Have you seen him urinate within the past 12-24 hours?

Is he defecating in the litterbox?

Is he drinking?

Does he spend any time outside?

After you reply, please allow me some time to read through it and compose/send your detailed answer. Thanks!

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

Hello again, Mark.

I was hoping to get some additional information from you about Simba, but I will send your answer now.

It's not unusual that if he's not eating well, he won't have much to eliminate, regarding stools; however, if he is not urinating at all, or trying and only a few drops come out, he could have a urethral blockage--in male cats this is an emergency, so make sure you see him urinating or he will need to be seen by a vet or an ER vet, immediately for evaluation and treatment. Here is more information:

When a cat doesn't want to eat, this is a sign that he's not feeling well or may be anxious. There are various possibilities: he could have eaten something he shouldn't have, he could have eaten something toxic or he could have chewed on an electrical wire and burned his mouth. He may have an oral/dental problem like an abscessed tooth or infected gums. If he'll allow, try to look inside his mouth for any stuck object; check the roof of the mouth, under the tongue, between teeth, between teeth and cheeks. Also, look for any sores in the mouth or inside the lips. If his mouth is painful, he won't want to eat.

It's important that a cat eats properly, because if he doesn't, he risks developing a serious liver condition called hepatic lipidosis. The only treatment is to start him eating again.

If there have been some environmental changes in his life, this can cause stress, which of course will affect his appetite. Get some Feliway plug in diffusers, which emit calming pheromones. Here is more information:

There are other, over the counter, oral calming products. Here are two great ones:

This is homeopathic and sold in most major pet supply stores or can be ordered online.

These are palatable chews with calming ingredients:

Do NOT offer both at the same time; choose one to try and see how it goes. It's fine to use in conjunction with the Feliway, though, because Feliway is not delivered orally.

A vet visit would be advisable, including a routine blood panel and urinalysis, to make sure all is well, medically. Hopefully, it will be, and you can discuss with the vet a prescription calming medication, if nothing else is effective.

Continue to play with him and putting the TV on for him, with cartoons,which is constant action, was a great idea, on your

part! : )

This is a great list of toys that he will love and there's even a cat dvd on the list:

Also, make sure you have a tall kitty condo or cat tree with different levels, shelves and 'hidey holes.' There's also a flat platform on top, where he can feel like king of the 'jungle;' cats love to be 'on high!' This can also be used as a scratching post, as they are usually covered with carpet. You can place it near a window, so he can look out at all the 'critters.'

Try to have him seen asap, by a vet, so he doesn't adversely affect his liver by not eating properly and find out the cause of his symptoms.

I hope all will be well with Simba! Please let me know how he's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.
Hi Mark,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Simba. How is everything going?