Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

How much does it goes to get advice about cat who had

Customer Question

How much does it goes to get advice about cat who had children's ibuprofen?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Did your cat get ibuprofen? I was confused by the wording of your question.

If so, any dose of ibuprofen is toxic to a cat. So, this would require an immediate emergency veterinary visit now for hospitalization and support to try to help her. The sooner the better after ingestion. Cats will die from this drug, if not treated promptly. For treatment, we generally recommend intravenous fluids for a minimum of 48 hours, but when the renal (kidney) values are elevated they need to stay on fluids until the values decline or plateau. Gastrointestinal protectant medications should be continued for a minimum of 10-14 days. Decontmaination procedures would also be instituted depending on how long ago the medication was given/ingested.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's a stray cat that we recently neutered. At most he only had 2.5mL if I had to guess. It's not a pet just stray cat so we don't want to consume vet bills. Any at home suggestions? Cat has thrown up and less active.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Only 2.8lbs
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
this was 2 days ago
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry for the delay in replying but I didn't receive a note that you had replied until now. This system can be glitchy. With the symptoms you are seeing my concern is that there could be some liver issues going on, possibly kidney impairment from the drug. Always better to be safe in this situation and have him examined and his values checked by his veterinarian.