Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

A cat we took in has a bacterial infection in s ears!Is this

Customer Question

A cat we took in has a bacterial infection in his ears!Is this contagious to other cats? What is treatment protocal?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Sorry to hear poor Red is having this ear issue! Bacterial ear infections in dogs and cats are not typically contagious- they are usually secondary to an allergy (seasonal environmental allergy to pollens, molds, dust, etc), a flea allergy, or less commonly, a food allergy. Sometimes they can have ear mites which cause the bacterial infection- and ear mites are contagious from cat to cat- but I am assuming your veterinarian has already ruled this out.

I'm sorry you are having trouble medicating Red's ears. You are not alone! Cats can be NOTORIOUSLY difficult to medicate, especially when it comes to their ears. There are few tactics you can try at home. The first would be to try and get the drops in while he is sleeping- quickly put the medicine in before he wakes up. The second would be to wait until mealtime when you know he is hungry, and to offer some of his favorite treats or canned food. It is best to have a second person helping. Get him up at waist level (on a table or counter), and gently wipe out the ears, then get the medication in his ears. Continue to offer treats and praise him- he may come to see it as a positive experience if you always offer the treats with the medication. If these techniques fail, you can discuss with your veterinarian a few other options- one would be to bring him in daily for them to administer the medication. Another would be to see if they can order a special medication from a compounding pharmacy that only needs to be applied once or twice (these aren't always as effective). I hope this has helped- I will provide a link that demonstrates proper ear medicating technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSXZO1aNYS0

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!

Please don't forget to take a moment to provide a rating!

Please provide a rating for me so I can receive credit for helping you out, thank you!