Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is refusing to eat after tooth extraction she has

Customer Question

My cat is refusing to eat after tooth extraction she has lost so much weight.We've tried all different foods to tempt her but we are at a loss now as to what to give her. Any advice would be welcome.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is Kitty on any treatments just now?

How long ago was the extraction?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Any drooling, pawing at her mouth, crunching/grinding her teeth, or does she act sore with her mouth?

Can she drink normally?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but as I am quite concerned about Kitty, I do want to leave my thoughts in case you are struggling to reply.

Now it is important to know that cats are not well designed to be off food for long. In fact, anorexia can often lead to secondary liver issues (fatty liver syndrome) which can make it even more of a challenge to get them eating for us. So, we need to be proactive and aggressive in getting her through this.

Based on your history, we’d be very concerned that your lass’s anorexia is being triggered by oral discomfort that isn’t be managed as well as she needs it to be. Therefore, the first step here would be to ring her vet to update them and request that they dispense kitty safe pain relief.

Afterwards, we’d hope she’d feel up to eating. If she does, we can tempt her as you have or try some light/easily digestible diet options like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Of course, if she still cannot be tempted and since you reported no vomiting, we may need to consider syringe feeding. To do so, you can water down calorie rich diets like Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, or even canned kitten food. As well, if she is drinking we can offer or otherwise syringe a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. All of these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in; which will counter weight loss and break her fast as we address its cause.

Overall, we need to be very careful when our kitties go off food. In her case, we’d want to address the oral discomfort angle and use the above supportive care. Though if she doesn’t’ respond to our support, then we’d want her vet to potentially start an appetite stimulant, +/- treat with anti-nausea medication or even consider a short term feeding tube to keep her getting nutrition in as we get her through this anorexia.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )