petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

Vomiting foam about 4-8 times during the day and night about

Customer Question

vomiting white foam about 4-8 times during the day and night about once a week
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: no, going on for a while
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Gus, 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gus?
Customer: he is on diestive enzymes 2/day with food. Lessened frequency a little.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Gus today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Was any sort of testing done on Gus yet to get to a diagnosis?

Does he still have a good appetite?

Is he losing weight?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
appetite great, lots of blood work-something with pancreas slightly off, not losing weight, no diagnosis
Expert:  petdrz replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

From the symptoms that you describe, I would be most suspicious of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) but pancreatitis certainly has to be on the list of rule outs. Both can be very challenging to confirm without more advanced diagnostics (besides blood work) and ultimately, in most cases, the only definitive diagnosis, requires biopsy of the affected tissue. The good news is that the treatment for IBD is often symptomatic in the early stages and often, even when more therapy is needed, therapeutic trials to treat IBD or the commonly encountered intestinal cancer are offered.

If additional testing such as xray or ultrasound of the abdomen has not been offered, I would start there. If nothing abnormal is noted (which is common), I would talk with your vet about treatment for intestinal infiltrative diseases, such as IBD or small cell lymphoma, and use response to therapy to help confirm the diagnosis.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  petdrz replied 4 months ago.

You are most welcome and good luck in your endeavors. We, as veterinarians, encounter these cases daily, and each needs their own attention as there is not a "one size fits all" approach to these cases. Work with your vet or seek expertise from a specialist if you are not getting positive responses.