Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.

I just adopted a kitten from the animal shelter. He is

Customer Question

I just adopted a kitten from the animal shelter. He is approximately 10 weeks old. He came to the shelter with 2 other kittens with eyes still shut. Since he got to the shelter, they have been treating him with Ponazuril and Strongid T for worms. They have treated him 4 times - once in April when they got him, twice in May and once in June. They are recommending that he continue to be treated with both medications although there are no signs of worms. How much longer should I be treating him with this? I do not want to give him unnecessary drugs if he doesn't need them.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I totally agree with you that we do not want to give medications if they are not necessary, & with the schedule of deworming he has had, he should be clear of intestinal parasites. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, especially with shelter kittens. The easiest solution to this is to have a fecal or stool examination done at your veterinarian. If nothing is found, then no medications will be necessary. You can either have this done at Shadow's next scheduled vaccination visit, or you can just take a sample from the litter box at any time. This way there is no guessing.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

And thank you for adopting.