Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

I have an ecig pen. I was using it then my cat who was next

Customer Question

I have an ecig pen. I was using it then my cat who was next to me did what he likes to do and grabbed my hand between his paws. I was scratching his neck with the ecig in my hands and the light came on, I must have pushed the on button inadventently. The cat licked the opening of The ecig and immediately jumped up. He began to drool and stood under a table for a few moments.... Then he went to his litter box, drooling stopped, he walked around a bit, and now he is sitting next to me licking himself like nothing happened. This has occurred within the last 15-20 minutes. He seems absolutely normal. I wonder if what he was exposed to is enough cause to take him to the vet... If more symptoms might present... Or if the initial nicotine liquid exposure made him a bit sick temporarily but subsided as it really could have only been a very minute dose... I don't want to lose or hurt my kitty! Please help! If it is useful, he is about 10 years old, ten pounds, English short hair.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your kitty!

The tough thing in his situation is we can't really know the amount of nicotine he has ingested. Symptoms of toxicity usually appear within 60 minutes with this drug. It is possible he was drooling due to the flavor or small amount of nicotine, but I would recommend monitoring him very closely for the next hour or two to be safe. Signs of toxicity would include things such as vomiting, diarrhea, agitation, elevations in heart rate and respiration rate, depression, tremors, ataxia (wobbly drunken walking), weakness, seizures, cyanosis (pale or blue gums), and coma.

If you notice any of these signs developing, I would get him to your vet right away for supportive care. You can try to monitor his respiratory rate and heart rate at home. You can often feel the pulse through the femoral artery if you feel on a pets inner thigh. Alternatively, you can sometimes feel the heart beating if you place your hand on the side of the chest, behind the point of their elbow. A normal cat heart rate is usually about 140 -to 220 beats per minute. The respiratory rate (breaths per minute) is usually 20 to 30 per minute. Here is an article with information on monitoring vital signs:

Expert:  Jess K replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I don't want to sign off the computer if there was something unanswered. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 4 months ago.

Just checking to see how your kitty was doing?