Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat can't close her mouth, My cat can't close her mouth,

Customer Question

My cat can't close her mouth
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?
Customer: My cat can't close her mouth
JA: Where does your cat seem to hurt?
Customer: she can't close her mouth
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: she cries when i tough her jaw
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Misty and she is 11
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Misty?
Customer: She has bad teeth, but I checked to make sure nothing was obstructing her mouth.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Misty. The proper manner in which to proceed is to have Misty's vet lightly anesthetize or dissociate ("space out") Misty and thoroughly examine her oral cavity and oropharynx for painful trauma, dental disease, stomatitis (a general inflammation of the oral cavity thought to be immune-mediated), and neoplasia (cancer). If these can be ruled out, X-rays are taken of her jaws and temperomandibular joints (TMJs) looking for bony changes suggestive of fractures, dislocations, or neoplasia.

There is also a neurologic condition called trigeminal neuritis causing a "dropped jaw" and inability to close the mouth. Dogs are mostly affected; it's rare in cats.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.