Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have a flea investation. I put Sergeant liquid on my cats,

Customer Question

I have a flea investation. I put Sergeant liquid on my cats, then put a Sergeant flea and tick collar on them. I heard was not good. Please advise.
Linda Gobble
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your quesiton, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to hel pyou.

Sergeants is not necessarily a bad product. Many cats do have a difficult time with the active ingredient. The reason that Seargeants gets a bad reputation is because it has more reported side effects. Not every cat has a problem with this product. The cats that do have a problem generally have that "problem" within the first few hours of having the produt applied. The symptoms you'd be looking for is foaming at the mouth, twitching or tremoring, and agitation. If you see these symptoms then you should bath the area that the product was applied with a degreasing soap like dawn and then rinse. If your cat has had this prodcut on for a couple of hours and no symptoms then you don't need to be too worried. Many cats do fine, others have side effects like I described and in that case a different product like Frontline or Revolution should be used in the future. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan