Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

Our 10 year old cat can't poop it seems! She is only eating

Customer Question

Our 10 year old cat can't poop it seems! She is only eating small amounts and keeps trying to poop with no success. What can I do to help her? It's been 3-4 days now!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear that Chloe appears constipated and I'd like to help

Once they haven't passed stools for several days then it may be too late to change things at home but I can give you some recommendations to try today because she is still eating some, and if she hasn't had a good sized stool by tomorrow then she should see her regular veterinarian.

One is to increase fiber by adding canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal. One tablespoon to each meal to 2 tablespoons to start.

These are just guidelines, you can adjust the amount based on her ease passing stool as well as whether her stool is too soft.

If you have Miralax you can use that instead of the pumpkin. Sprinkle 1/8th of a teaspoon on her meals. If you use Miralax make sure to increase her fluid intake as it works by drawing fluids into the intestines and can lead to dehydration if her fluid intake isn't increased enough. Feed only canned food and add warm water or chicken broth to each meal.

Increasing the amount of fluids in her diet in general will help as well. You can add low salt chicken or beef broth to her food long term. The more fluids she takes in the better so if she likes to drink from a dripping tap try that as well.

Moving around can also sometimes help to get the intestinal tract moving properly, so try to get her to play.

You can also give Cat Lax, or any sort of flavored petroleum based lubricant for hair balls.

If she is vomiting or no longer eating we are probably beyond home therapy. She needs to see his veterinarian. But you can use the above tips for preventative measures in the future. And if he seems to have chronic troubles with constipation pumpkin or Miralax can be used chronically if needed.

You might also wish to add a probiotic to get her gut bacteria back to normal. Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac are very good ones.

If she hasn't had any stool passed by tonight you can insert 1/2 of an infant glycerin rectal suppository and see if that does the trick.

If she isn't passing stool even after that then she definitely needs a veterinary visit.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.
Hi Tanya,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chloe. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****