Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

He has a raw spot that oozes and stinks really bad, I 't

Customer Question

He has a raw spot that oozes and stinks really bad
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: I don't know, he showed up at my doorstep a couple of weeks ago... I'd say about 8 months old.. was going to try to find him a home but if he's got so.etching that my cats can catch help have to go to humane society
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: I call him moses
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: I know nothing else about hom
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for caring for Moses. You've described a ruptured bite wound abscess and you're smelling the infected puss and necrotic (dying and dead) tissue associated with the infection. This is isn't contagious to your other cats. It needs to be opened widely, flushed with an antimicrobial solution, debrided (devitalized tissue removed), and either left open to drain or have a drain installed. A systemic antibiotic is then administered. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?